So, the annual Apple update cycle is on. Apple has started to roll out the iOS update for iPhones, iPads and iPods. The update started to roll out yesterday and millions of users have already updated their devices to the newer and more awesome version of iOS.
The process to download and install iOS 8 is pretty easy, however, there are a few things which you will need to keep in mind, otherwise you might end up messing up with settings as well as the device. In this post, I will take you through to the process of how to download and install iOS 8 onto your phone, but before that, you need to be sure if the update is available for your device or not. Below is a list of the devices which will be getting updated to iOS 8.
List of Devices getting Apple iOS 8 Update
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5C
- iPhone 5S
- iPad 2
- iPad with retina display
- iPad Mini with retina display
- iPad Air
Well, the update also means that you will be getting a lot of good and new things in iOS which were never introduced before. However, as it was announced in June this year, Continuity and a few more features will not be available to use right from the first day, as Apple will be waiting for Yosemite OSX launch.
So, if you have decided to upgrade the Apple iOS version, you can proceed with the instructions given below
Well, taking backup in Apple devices while doing an iOD update is not something which is really needed, however, it is always safe to do so. In case of something wrong happening while updating the device, a backup can come in handy.
backup can be completed using iCloud as well as iTunes, I would surely suggest you the iTunes method, because it seems very reliable and fast. Have a look below at the steps you need to implement in order to create a backup of your device using iTunes.
- Connect your device to a Mac or PC. Open iTunes and select your device from the drop down menu present on the right top corner just next to iTunes Logo.
- Find Manually BackUp and Restore option on the screen and under that, select backup my device now.
- The backup process will start in a while. The time taken for the backup will depend on the storage capacity of your device as well as the amount of data you have stored onto it.
- Once the backup is complete, you have an option to backup your transactions as well. That option usually has all the details of the apps and games which you have purchased from iTunes or Apple Store. Once you are done with that, your backup is completed totally.
Download and install iOS update OTA (Over the air)
Before you start downloading the update, you will need to take care of a few things. You have to be using WiFi (iOS update can not be downloaded using cellular data, and your device needs to be connected to a power source.
- Navigate to Settings >> General >> Software Updates.
- If your device does not have any update available, it will show you the notification saying that no new update is available for your device, however, if iOS 8 update is available for your device, it will show you the update notification.
- Click on download update and it will start downloading the update. Downloading update will take time depending on the internet speed you have.
- Once the download is complete, you will get an option asking, if you want to install the update. Select yes and it will automatically install the update.
Congratulation. That makes your device updated with the latest iOS version. Enjoy. If you have anything to ask, feel free to comment below.