Trey Anastasio is an American musician who is best known as the lead vocalist and guitarist of the rock band Phish, which he co-founded in 1983. He is also a prolific solo artist and collaborator, working with various genres and projects. He lives in New York City with his wife and two daughters.
In this article, we will explore the life, career, net worth, and social media of Trey Anastasio. We will also answer some frequently asked questions about him. If you are a fan of Phish or curious about their frontman, read on to learn more.
Trey Anastasio Biography
|Name||Ernest Joseph Anastasio III|
|Birth day||September 30, 1964|
|Birth place||Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.|
|Father||Ernest Anastasio Jr.|
|Siblings||Kristy Anastasio Manning|
|College||University of Vermont; Goddard College|
Trey Anastasio Net Worth
Trey Anastasio’s net worth is estimated to be between $50 million and $95 million, depending on the source. He has earned his wealth through his music career, merchandise sales, and endorsements. He is one of the most successful and influential guitarists in the rock scene.
Trey Anastasio has also been involved in some interesting stories throughout his career. Here are some examples:
- He once walked in on Jon Fishman giving himself a wheatgrass enema in their shared apartment.
- He and his bandmates gave away the keys of their old touring van, a Plymouth Voyager, to a man in Ithaca named Sweet Pete, whom they later regretted.
- He and Mike Gordon once prank-called their mothers after a show in Atlanta and pretended to be fans who wanted to meet them.
- He testified to Congress in 2009 about the effectiveness of drug courts, which helped him get sober after a 2006 DWI arrest.
- He performed with the surviving members of the Grateful Dead at their Fare Thee Well shows in 2015, filling in for Jerry Garcia.
About Trey Anastasio
Trey Anastasio was born in Texas but moved to Princeton, New Jersey when he was three years old. He grew up with a passion for music and learned to play drums, piano, and guitar. He attended Princeton public schools until fourth grade, then transferred to Princeton Day School. He graduated from the Taft School in Connecticut, where he met Steven Pollak (the Dude of Life), who later helped him write some of Phish’s songs.
He enrolled at the University of Vermont as a philosophy major, where he met his future bandmates Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon, and Jeff Holdsworth. They formed Phish in 1983 and played their first gig at a campus cafeteria. The band soon gained a loyal following for their improvisational and eclectic style. They released their debut album Junta in 1989 and went on to record 15 more studio albums and numerous live albums. They also became known for their elaborate concerts and festivals, such as the Baker’s Dozen, Big Cypress, and Magnaball.
Some of Trey Anastasio’s achievements and highlights with Phish are:
- He composed 152 original songs for Phish, many of which are fan favorites.
- He performed over 2,000 shows with Phish across the U.S. and abroad.
- He headlined major venues such as Madison Square Garden, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, and Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
- He collaborated with many artists such as Dave Matthews, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, and Bob Weir.
- He received four Grammy nominations with Phish for Best Rock Instrumental Performance (1998), Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group (2001), Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package (2010), and Best Rock Album (2015).
Trey Anastasio also pursued a solo career and various side projects outside of Phish. He formed the Trey Anastasio Band in 1998, which features a horn section and plays a mix of rock, funk, jazz, and blues. He released 11 solo albums under his name or with TAB. He also collaborated with other musicians such as Les Claypool and Stewart Copeland in Oysterhead, Amanda Green in the Broadway musical Hands on a Hardbody (for which he was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Original Score), and the New York Philharmonic and other orchestras.
Some of Trey Anastasio’s achievements and highlights as a solo artist are:
- He composed music for two films: Outside Out (2000) and Between Me and My Mind (2019).
- He performed at the Newport Folk Festival (2008), Bonnaroo Music Festival (2009), Farm Aid (2013), Lockn’ Festival (2016), and Peach Music Festival (2018).
- He participated in several tribute concerts for artists such as Jerry Garcia (2015), Leonard Cohen (2017), Aretha Franklin (2019), and Neil Peart (2020).
- He created a new project called Ghosts of the Forest in 2019, inspired by the death of his childhood friend Chris Cottrell.
- He launched The Beacon Jams in 2020, a series of eight livestream concerts from the Beacon Theatre to raise money for his Divided Sky Fund, which supports addiction recovery.
Trey Anastasio Social Media
Trey Anastasio is active on social media, where he shares his music, photos, videos, and updates with his fans. You can follow him on these platforms:
- Facebook: @treyanastasio
- Twitter: @treyanastasio
- YouTube: Trey Anastasio
- Website: Trey Anastasio
Stay tuned with The iBulletin for more updates!
FAQs about Trey Anastasio
1. What is Trey Anastasio’s real name?
Trey Anastasio’s real name is Ernest Joseph Anastasio III. He got the nickname Trey from being the third of his name.
2. What kind of guitar does Trey Anastasio play?
Trey Anastasio plays a custom-made electric guitar designed by Paul Languedoc, who was Phish’s sound engineer. The guitar is modeled after a hollow-body Gibson ES-335 and has two Seymour Duncan pickups and a mini toggle switch that activates a built-in preamp.
3. How did Trey Anastasio meet his wife?
Trey Anastasio met his wife Susan Statesir when they were both students at the University of Vermont. They started dating in 1988 and got married in 1994. They have two daughters, Eliza and Isabella.
4. What is Trey Anastasio’s favorite song?
Trey Anastasio has said that his favorite song is “Terrapin Station” by the Grateful Dead. He also loves “The Beatles”, “The Rolling Stones”, “Led Zeppelin”, “Bob Marley”, “Frank Zappa”, and “Miles Davis”.